Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Adventures and Family

So we are all finally back in California after a week off to recover from National Championships. Most of us got to spend some time at home with our families for the 4th of July weekend. I spent the weekend with my dad, uncle, and aunt at the beach in North Carolina.

It was a fun little weekend filled with World Cup soccer games, a 4th of July parade and streetfest, a painting project, a lost dog, fireworks, lots and lots of fireworks, boating, wakeboarding, jetskiing, crab catching, and best of all: family.

Although a few things didn't go quite as planned this weekend such as the boat engine not working and then overheating, losing the dog (only for an hour), losing the crabs we caught, and having car trouble on the way home (when I had to get to the airport for my flight!), the most valuable thing I was reminded of this weekend is how the most important things in life are the people you care about. It didn't matter that we couldn't go out on the boat because we could still spend time together.

After weekends like this, I am reminded of the support that I have from home in continuing my hockey career. I realize how very lucky I am to be able to do what I am doing: playing and traveling the world, representing my country. So, I have come back out to California excited for the next journey that we have in store for us. I'm ready to see what this new team can accomplish!

I'll leave you with this:

"Success is not to be measured so much by the position one has reached in life but by the obstacles which they have overcome" ~ Booker T. Washington

No comments: