Sunday, February 13, 2011

Drug Testing

As a professional athlete and a member of an Olympic sport, we get drug tested. We can be drug tested at almost any time, anywhere. We even fill out forms detailing where we all at all times. Yes, that's right, when you leave the country or decide to take a day trip to the beach, you have to inform USADA, the US Anti-Doping Agency. This regulates US athletes. Above that, you have your sports international governing body who can also drug test you. For us it is the FIH. They can test you anywhere as well, in or out of competition. Sounds fun huh?

So over the years I have had my fair share of drug tests. They came to my house in college, my practice in college, on tour, and of course in California at the training center. But of all the random and inconvenient occurrences I have had, last night's takes the cake for most ridiculous!!

They randomly selected one person from each team to be drug tested last night, and of course I got picked. (Which I thought was funny because in 2008 when we came to this same 4 Nation tournament, I happened to be selected then as well). Anyways, the German girl got into the doping station before I did, so I had to wait about 10 minutes for her to finish. Which was okay with me because I had sweat so much during the game that when the chaperone (she has to stay with you post-game until you are finished your testing) told me I was selected I drank 2 water bottles in hopes that it would help.

As it was my turn to give my sample... I filled the cup as directed, but seconds later I noticed I seemed to have less in the cup... and it was collecting on the floor (gross I know..)... I quickly realized there was a hole in the cup!!!! I know tons of athletes who get tested all the time, but I have never heard of this happening to anyone before!! I had a good laugh until I realized I could no longer give another sample... I had already gone! So I sat down, drank 4 Gatorates, and waited. Then, I waited some more! About an hour later, after just sitting around in this little (smelly) doping control bathroom, I was ready to give another sample. (Don't worry I checked the cup 5 times for holes beforehand!) Finally, once my test was over, my team was already back at the hotel enjoying dinner and debriefing our game. At this point, there was only 15 minutes left in the Argentina/Australia game that had started after our game... and I didn't make it back to the hotel until 11:30pm (our game had been at 7.. so we were done by 9).

We did get dinner at the hotel though AND my teammates were nice enough to save us some birthday cake from Lee's birthday!! It hit the spot.

Definitely one for the books. Funny now that I look back on it... somehow, that would happen to me! haha.

No comments: